In response to allegations of “misleading the house” on whether the 39 Indians kidnapped by ISIS in Iraq three years ago were still alive, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said on Wednesday that she would not commit “the crime” of declaring them dead without proof, according to media reports.
Abductee Harjit Masih, who escaped from the terrorist group, reportedly claimed that the remaining 39 Indians kidnapped in Mosul had been murdered. Swaraj was quoted as saying, “Why should I believe Harjit Masih’s claims that the 39 Indians are dead? It is a crime to do this without proper proof. Iraq has never said that the 39 Indians missing are dead.”
NDTV reported that on Monday the Iraqi government said it was “not 100% sure” if the 39 are dead.